My Photo
Name:
Location: Milton Keynes, United Kingdom

Hi there fellow bloggers. The idea of this blog arose from surfing for info on Campaign management tools out there & the work I do with Chordiant. That led to Blog 1 the serious one; and then came the more me blog… the fun one. Check out my 3 blogs... when you get time. Hope you enjoy it…

24 September, 2006

Internet TV

So you might notice my blog is slowly yet surely building a theme ... yes I have a new internet connection and am trying to find things to fill the void left by Sky now that I am in Geneva.

While I resisted the temptation to call the local satellite dish fellows to get a sky dish setup (which I suspect I will do eventually anyways), I have been looking at the internet tv options, P2PTV to be more specific.

P2P TV as the name suggests works by one both downloading and sharing the TV streams. I have tried the usual stuff .. TVants, P2Pstream, Sopcast etc. All of them are chinese and unfortunately all the sites in chinese. Transalate.google.com helps ... but only so much. For eg p2ptv software menu is in chinese as well ...

The top 2 recos from me are:
At no. 2 - www.tvants.com. The player connects to the TVANTS server and has around 800 channels including the star movies, AXN to CBS, Star Sports, ESPN. If you like football this is a boon - all the matches you can think of. Cricket unfortunately is not popular with the chinese... though I read that one of the pakistani guys is streaming one of the channels esp for the paki games...
Note: I am having some setup problems running this as I have upgraded my Windows media player to 11 but it works fine with 9/10.

At No1 is TVU player (www.viidoo.com). The interface is completely in English and the setup and running it is a breeze. It takes about 3/4 minutes t settle down (buffer, choose best bandwidth etc) but then you get near VHS quality video. Its got CNN, Star Sports, ESPN Asia, CBS, Fox, NBC, HBO & USA Network etc on it. I have been hooking laptop to the telly to watch it & its ok.

Looking forward, I am
1. Trying to use VideoLan player (the best freeware media player out there ... fantastic for downloaded movies, better quality than CPU hungry media/real players) to stream the same over the network to the telly rather than just hook my laptop to it... still trying to figure this out,

2. Find live Cricket on the net. Some channels promise (try to google for cricket) but dont deliver.

Will keep you posted if I find something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home